Monday 9 February 2015

Camera Challenge 1

So, Katy over at The Littlest Thistle is challenging us to be a bit more adventurous with using our big girl cameras and after getting to grips with the basic at the end of last year I am more than ready to be a little bit more educated and less scared of all the functions on my Nikon D3200

Littlest Thistle Camera Challenge 2015
We were given three shots to take, using the full auto setting and then the camera's preset mode to see the differences.

Landscape
I got a little carried away, as I'm lucky enough to live in a beautiful part of Outer London.
For each photo the Full Auto is on the Left and Preset Mode on the right.

The London Skyline from Epping Forest.

Corporation of London Golf Course.

Snowy Epping Forest.

Portrait
Me with my Wurm hat and newly knitted shawl.

I was going to try a portrait of the dog, but that turned into a debacle!!!!!! So, it had to be me.

Sport

I couldn't get any photos for this setting as rugby was cancelled two weeks in a row because of the pitch and the children would not be willing models!

I really can't believe the difference in the two settings, especially in the landscapes of the skyline and how the depth of the colours change on the golf course. Although I am surprised there isn't really a big difference in the snow scene.
The portrait shot was also very surprising, I feel like it gave my complexion a nice soft airbrush!!!!! And after seeing these differences it really made me fiddle with the settings when I was trying to get shots of the finished shawl, more of which another day (when I get a post typed up!).
Can't wait to see other peoples photos and for Katy's next Challenge. 

8 comments :

  1. Wow this sounds like a fun challenge and you can definitely see a difference between the two settings. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The difference between the settings is quite incredible!

    P.S. There's a trick to the art of taking dog photographs...biscuits! (They don't even have to be real - I sometimes pretend to get one out of my pocket and say 'What's this?' and he looks where I want him to look...some of the time, at least!) Of course, it helps if you have a dog who will obey the 'stay' and 'wait' commands, I suspect Boris has a way to go with that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a great job - I was going to get all upset about the rugby until I realised it would be small rugby players rather than big ones, so perhaps not the right size to be eyeing up ;o)

    I had forgotten about the 'picture effects' that get applied in the preset modes with jpegs, but your shots have demonstrated it beautifully. The portrait one shows off the difference in aperture a bit more too, although it's possible to see a bit in the landscapes. Glad you could join us :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to have a look at Katy's blog. Just been discussing this with my husband as I have been trying to use his Canon SLR and these baby steps really help me learn. Quite a difference in the portrait setting and it is much less harsh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. my phone sis my camera so I am well jeal' Good photos

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't this a fun challenge Joanne? You should be working for your local tourist office :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great shawl, looks cosy against the snowy backdrop. Our Basset Wilbur will do a brilliant sit for treats of any kind but when he is getting really boisterous cheese always works!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great photos; the famous skyline is definitely more visible in landscape mode.

    ReplyDelete

I know time is precious, so thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a message xxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...