Wednesday 18 April 2012

Zakka Style Pin Cushion

Ok peeps, I've finally plucked up the courage and jumped on the Zakka Style Sew Along. It is being hosted by Lindsey at LR stitched  and what I loved is that you could dip in and out at anytime.  I was bought the book for Mother's day and really want to join in, but it being the Easter holidays made it difficult to find the time to concentrate!! (3 little people + 1 mum = no peace)
I was also a little wary of starting with the tote bag, my sewing is still quite rusty and it seemed like a big project! There is also the small point of not wanting to cut into my costly linen and then not like what I'd put together. Then I saw this post by Mary Emmens, WOW! She had used denim (from old jeans) instead of the linen. Not only would this save on cost, but it looked fantastic!! I liked the look of sturdiness it gave the tote, also I think denim is just so practical. When I get a chance (!!) I will get around to making this bag and I think I will be using the denim too.

So, I'm starting on week 3, and it is the turn of the pin cushion. I dug out a ripped pair of jeans I had been saving (hoarding according to the Husband!) and cut into them. I also was lucky enough to have some pretty fabric from Joan's Fabric Scrap Bags from Flaming Nora. This is what I came up with.


I'm really pleased with it, I also popped in a magnet behind the floral fabric so it could hold a few safety pins as well. 
I hope to send this off to my sister as a present, as she has just bought herself a sewing machine, but I might just keep it myself!!
I'm not sure if I will keep up with every project each week, but I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do. Especially the sewing kit next week....... 

12 comments :

  1. Good idea with the magnet! I get my linen in the garment section of my local fabric shop, it's wider and rather cheaper than 'quilters' linen, and does exactly the same job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, thanks for the tip. I'll have to have a look

      Delete
  2. Love the pin cushion, so are you going to make a tote out of jeans too? Sounds like a fun idea :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully as soon as I get the time!!!1

      Delete
  3. Great idea with the magnet.....good idea to pick up stray pins when you drop them on the floor (or is that just me, i'm such a clumsy fool) lovely pin cushion, I've seen that zakka somewhere else too, I look forward to seeing more projects!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm constantly loosing my pins all over the floor, which my husband always treads on!! haha

      Delete
  4. I love that you used jeans and that ou popped in a magnet. Smart thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adding the magnet is a great idea! It's a very pretty pincushion, I've made a few myself and find them very satisfying little projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It came together so quick, not ever an hour from start to finish!!

      Delete
  6. Well done! Denim (especially well worn) rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your pin cushion - its turned out so great.

    Your blog is so inspirational to me.

    I would, therefore, like to have the great honour of presenting you with the Liebster Blog Award. There are more details about it over on my blog:

    http://lizofdandeliondaydreams.blogspot.co.uk/

    Congratulations
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete

I know time is precious, so thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a message xxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...