Sunday 18 March 2012

We love .....Mother's Day



I hope all you mums, daughters and sons had a lovely day today and had a lovely Mother's Day. I know it's celebrated at different times of the year over the world, but we have had ours today.
This year I planned to make my mum a special homemade present for Mother's Day and have been working on it over the last two weeks. I even had to ask for one of my own presents early to complete it!! (I hate a surprise and had told hubby what I wanted!)



I wanted to make a cushion for my mums bed and as I have been making blocks for the QAL I decided to use what I have learnt to make her something. I used a tutorial from Jenna at SewHappyGeek to make a woven block and then added a border. 
I made it into a envelope cushion as I hoped to add some embroidery to the back and this was how I originally planed on finishing it. But thing don't always go to plan!!!


And I felt it was a little plain and lacked something, so I have spent Friday and Saturday binding this cushion by hand (!!!) and embellishing the back. 



I used the children's hand prints, one of each of the boys and both of Rose's and then the boys favorite saying when they were tiny......


The hand prints may not be perfect but it's fairly hard to keep a 14 month old still for longer an a few seconds!!

The boys were a bit easier!! I used baking paper and then traced them onto the cotton. 

As I didn't plan on binding it, it was fairly thick to wrap the binding around but I was using this as a massive learning curve. And it's not perfect, but I made it with a lot of love, thought and a fair few swear words (after the watershed!!).  
Also you have to remember that no matter my age, my mum has to LOVE what ever I make. This is one of the rules of Motherhood!!! 
Anyway, I love how it turned out and my mum was over the moon with it (so she said!!!).




I'm linking this post up with
Sew Happy Geek


8 comments :

  1. what a beautiful gift! such a wonderful idea. Happy mothers day to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a brilliant idea, I love your cushion, your mom will be delighted to get such a thoughtful and special gift. Happy Mothers Day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a great job, it's a beautiful gift for your mum! I can see why she would be over the moon with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love the cushion, it is such a beautiful present for your mum. I would be over the moon with it too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful cushion!!! Love the woven block and the embroidery on the back is SO special. No wonder your Mum was over the moon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What's wonderful personal gift, your Mum must of been thrilled. Hope you had a good day.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow that is amazing, it will be a treasure for many years to come Im sure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely cushion, the embroidery on the back is the icing on the cake!

    ReplyDelete

I know time is precious, so thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a message xxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...